From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Database size seems off even after compaction runs.
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:04:52 GMT
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2011, at 1:44 PM, Chris Stockton wrote:
>
> Okay, so this catches me a bit off guard, always thought compaction
> cleaned those up.
>
> Compaction removes old revisions’ and deleted documents’ contents, but their revision
histories are still there. Those should be pretty small, though, since they’re just trees
of revision IDs.

> (Unless you did delete the docs by just setting a “_deleted” attribute? I don’t
know what the behavior of that would be; sounds like it doesn’t actually delete the document
from the database, in which case maybe the last revision data does get left behind.)

> —Jens

Deleted documents specifically allow for a body to be set in the
deleted revision. The intention for this is to have a "who deleted
this" type of meta data for the doc. Some client libraries delete docs
by grabbing the current object blob, adding a '"_deleted": true'
member, and then sending it back which inadvertently (in most cases)
keeps the last doc body around after compaction.