From Mike Kimber <mkim...@kana.com>
Subject RE: Question on what is CouchDB's strength
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 10:12:29 GMT
Jack,

It's definitely horses for courses stuff, but a few of items in couch's favour that we like
(but were are no experts!) are:

1. Its Apache 2.0 license vs MongoDB's AGPL. So if you're looking to use it commercially then
it's more friendly
2. Couchdb seems to have a very vibrant eco system i.e. there's a lot of add-on's etc such
a couchapp (automatically replicates your applications with your data if your comfortable
with that design pattern that is), Big Couch, for scale out, etc, etc  and then there's the
commercial offering from couchbase, although there seems to be a few incompatibilities if
you want to upgrade from couchdb pure (open source or commercial) to couchbase (i.e. couchdb
plus memcache)
3. Its ridiculously easy to install and then administer when compared with more traditional
DBMS's, backup wise you can just copy the datafiles live!
4. If you need it has document versioning and then coupled with that unlimited multi master
replication, which is actually pretty a pretty rare commodity;
5. The restful API is nice also

We use CouchDB as a datawarehouse for processing/analysing JSON documents, so lightning fast
performance is not critical, if performance is critical and you can live with the license
MongoDB may be a better option.

I believe the performance side of couchdb is gradually being addressed as part of the couchbase
work.

Oddly enough (and one of the reasons open source is so great) the Mongodb web site has a good
comparison:

http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Comparing+Mongo+DB+and+Couch+DB

Also I always find the following useful when I have to question why I chose one NOSQL vs another!

http://kkovacs.eu/cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis

MICHAEL KIMBER | PRINCIPAL ARCHITECT

d : +44 (0)28 9078 8378