From Simon Metson <simonmet...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: How to present/Visualize/report on data in Couchdb
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:27:31 GMT
Hi,
We've been using Backbone-couch (https://github.com/andrzejsliwa/backbone-couch) and d3 (http://mbostock.github.com/d3/)
to make visualisations. They're a nice pairing - as data appears in the database the collection
and corresponding visualisation updates.

We've started a simple Backbone wrapper of the d3 code (https://github.com/drsm79/Backbone-d3)
and will be porting more visualisations into it as we go (patches welcome, so far it's just
bar and pie charts though we've got line and calendar views in the works). This means you
can serve the visualisations to the browser live (from a couchapp) without worrying about
some middle layer.
Cheers
Simon

On Tuesday, 15 November 2011 at 11:11, Mike Kimber wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We are collecting statics couchdb and views that provide analysis. However management
don’t do javascript and I’m a back en guy, so I’m hoping that the group could possibly
provide some suggestions/recommendations on how we can deliver the data we are analysing into
a more human friendly formats that involves lists of data and visualisation (charts etc).
Now I know this is a how long is a piece of string question as there are a multitude of Web
Frameworks, graphic libraries out there and on of the advantages of REST/JSON, but what I’m
looking for is what seems to be the most common approach used by the community i.e couchapps/jquery/django
? I’ve done some Googling and have not been able to find much.

> And out of interested what is the Couchdb app Futon written in?
>

> Apologies if this is a rubbish question, but my management don’t seem to see it that
way J

> Mike
>

> MICHAEL KIMBER
>

> PRINCIPAL ARCHITECT
>

> d: 02890788378| m: 07792329322
>

> f: 02890788339 | e: mkimber@kana.com (mailto:mkimber@kana.com)
>

> 209 Airport Road West, Belfast
>

> BT3 9EZ, United Kingdom

> EVENTS (http://www.kana.com/better-practices/events.php) | WHITEPAPERS (http://www.kana.com/better-practices/white-papers.php)
| CASE STUDIES (http://www.kana.com/better-practices/video-case-studies.php) | DEMOS (http://www.kana.com/service-solutions/demo-library.php)

> The information in this email and any attachments is confidential and intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). It may be subject to legal, professional
or other privilege and further distribution of it is strictly prohibited without our authority.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to and must not disclose, copy,
distribute, or retain this message or any part of it, and should notify us immediately.