From Marcello Nuccio <>
Subject Re: 2011 Apache CouchDB Community Survey...
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 20:25:13 GMT
I agree: good books an manuals are essential, and "CouchDB: The
Definitive Guide" is not enough.

However the comparison with PostgreSQL is not fair.
CouchDB is a very young project and the whole "NoSQL movement" (sorry,
I don't know how to name it...) is also very young. I'm confident that
things will get better with time.

2011/11/16 James Marca <>:
> I agree with others that the mailing list is great.
> But I'm one of those people who like learning from books and manuals,
> and so for me the wiki is the go to documentation source.  This is my
> only real complaint about the CouchDB ecosystem: the wiki doesn't
> replace good documentation and has parts that are out of date.
> In contrast, I really like the PostgreSQL documentation.  It offers
> page after page of detailed explanation that allows for user comments
> and is synchronized with each version of PostgreSQL, so if you're running
> 8.4 you can read the 8.4 manual, 9.1 gets the 9.1, etc.  I wish there
> was an equivalent documentation source versioned according the major
> CouchDB releases.  I know nothing about the organization there, but my
> guess is they make all new hires slog through the manual and update
> everything touched by all new features.
> The O'Reilly book that is on-line is also a good resource, but is also
> out of date. It would be great to go to that site and click to get the
> 1.1.x version of the book, or the 1.2.x, etc.
> And these suggestions are offered in the spirit of "make CouchDB
> *more* super mega rad".
> Regards
> James Marca
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 03:40:59PM +0100, Mehdi El Fadil wrote:
>> Hi Jan,
>> I'd be interested to hear where exactly we fail to look after users. Note
>> > that this is a voluntary effort and we can't possibly make everybody happy.
>> > That said, we're trying and I'd be happy to learn where we can improve.
>> I perhaps should have put a disclaimer before criticizing: I think that
>> couchdb is a great tool, and the participants in this projects have done
>> amazing work - and they still are.
>> Also, for sure, you cannot satisfy to all demands, and that is a good
>> thing, to keep couchdb consistent.
>> I will give you more details about my thoughts in private soon.
>> Cheers,
>> Mehdi.

View raw message