From Filipe David Manana <fdman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to enable SSL cert verification?
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 16:54:01 GMT
Does the following ticket matches your needs as well?

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2011, at 9:06 AM, I wrote:
>
>> Having just gotten SSL working in Couchbase Mobile for iOS, I'm looking at the Erlang
SSL API trying to figure out how to get it to properly validate server certs*.

> Jan kindly pointed me at issue COUCHDB-878*, which includes a patch that adds config
options to turn on cert verification and provide a root cert. This doesn’t appear to have
been committed even though the bug’s been open for more than a year. Why not? As the description
points out, this is a significant security hole:

chain. This renders the SSL support absolutely useless since an attacker who is in the position
of doing man-in-the-middle attacks can send an invalid certificate and gets all my data (push
replication)."

> I wouldn’t say it’s _absolutely_ useless, as data is still hidden from anyone but
the remote peer; but it’s true that you have no assurance that the remote peer is who you
think it is. :-p

> I haven’t read the patch, but it doesn’t sound as though it’s enough for general
use, if it indeed only lets you specify one root cert (not a list of them.) Even with a full
root-cert list there would still be issues like keeping that list up to date (remember all
those CA compromises in just the last few months?), and lack of support for cert revocation
(CRL or OCSP). The best solution would be a hook into a NIF that integrated with the OS’s
underlying native security library.

--
Filipe David Manana,