From Timothy Baldridge <tbaldri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting source from GIT, where is configure
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 14:50:28 GMT
> Ah thanks I understand now. Read the install doco and expected to see all the files there
at the start. Appears Releases don't have bootstrap as configure is already present, which
confused me also.

This is something that many OSS programs do. Why? I'm not completely
sure. I think it has to do with the concept that any auto-generated
files should not be put into source control. Since ./configure is
generated by a collection of other tools, it's considered bloat that
would just clutter up the repository. And yeah, the first time I ran
into it, it really confused me as well.

Timothy