From Nils Breunese <N.Breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject Re: How to present/Visualize/report on data in Couchdb
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:46:25 GMT
Mike Kimber wrote:

> We are collecting statics couchdb and views that provide analysis. However management
don’t do javascript and I’m a back en guy, so I’m hoping that the group could possibly
provide some suggestions/recommendations on how we can deliver the data we are analysing into
a more human friendly formats that involves lists of data and visualisation (charts etc).
Now I know this is a how long is a piece of string question as there are a multitude of Web
Frameworks, graphic libraries out there and on of the advantages of REST/JSON, but what I’m
looking for is what seems to be the most common approach used by the community i.e couchapps/jquery/django
? I’ve done some Googling and have not been able to find much.

There are probably at leat a million different ways to transform JSON into lists, tables,
graphs, etc. I don't think there is really a common approach. You could format documents and
views using show and list functions [0], but in the end you'll need to do the coding yourself,
at least until the data is in a format that can be fed to some tool or framework. Or render
your own CSV, HTML tables, whatever you need.

> And out of interested what is the Couchdb app Futon written in?

Futon is built using HTML, CSS and JavaScript. You can find the code in the share/www directory
in the CouchDB source tree. You might also want to check out the CouchApp programming model
and tool [1].

Nils.

[0] http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Formatting_with_Show_and_List
[1] http://couchapp.org/