From "Szabo, Viktor (Enterprise Infrastructure)" <Viktor.Sz...@morganstanley.com>
Subject possible compact bug in 1.1.1
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:43:49 GMT
Hi CouchDB users,

I don't know if this is a known issue or not, but I've been experiencing strange behaviour
in version 1.1.1
after initiating compaction. Even though there's already a doc with the _id value of "dummy"
in my database,
if I want to have it re-inserted after a compact operation is started, 9 times out of 10,
I receive an "ok":true
notification. Occasionally I'm seeing the expected conflict error.

$ curl -X POST -H "Content-type: application/json" http://hostname:7002/test/_compact
{"ok":true}
$ curl -X POST -H "Content-type: application/json" -H "Referer: http://hostname:7002/" http://hostname:7002/test
-d '{ "_id": "dummy" }'
{"ok":true,"id":"dummy","rev":"1-967a00dff5e02add41819138abb3284d"}
$ curl -X POST -H "Content-type: application/json" http://hostname:7002/test/_compact
{"ok":true}
$ curl -X POST -H "Content-type: application/json" -H "Referer: http://hostname:7002/" http://hostname:7002/test
-d '{ "_id": "dummy" }'
{"ok":true,"id":"dummy","rev":"1-967a00dff5e02add41819138abb3284d"}
How is this possible?

Given that I sometimes get an "ok" confirmation, but sometimes get a "conflict error" for
the very same request sent to the
database with the very same content, I don't really feel secure about the integrity of the
service.
I'm thinking that the issue is related to the fact that the database already had accepted
a doc with the same id and content,
but still, undeterministic behaviour is not something I like.

Do you have a clue on what might be going on?

(I wasn't able to reproduce under 1.1.0. Used a single-node instance with no replication set
up and no clients connecting to the service)

Thanks,
Viktor

NOTICE: Morgan Stanley is not acting as a municipal advisor and the opinions or views contained
herein are not intended to be, and do not constitute, advice within the meaning of Section
975 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. If you have received
this communication in error, please destroy all electronic and paper copies and notify the
sender immediately. Mistransmission is not intended to waive confidentiality or privilege.
Morgan Stanley reserves the right, to the extent permitted under applicable law, to monitor
electronic communications. This message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.morganstanley.com/disclaimers. If you cannot access these links, please notify
us by reply message and we will send the contents to you. By messaging with Morgan Stanley
you consent to the foregoing.