From Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rog...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: nodejs couchapp
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 17:59:49 GMT

On Nov 8, 2011, at November 8, 20119:41 AM, Ryan Ramage wrote:

> If you want a feel where you can go with couchapps, checkout Max
> Ogden's datacouch project:
>
> https://github.com/maxogden/datacouch
>
> While not purely couchapp, it shows the way on how to move past the
> boundaries of the traditional couchapp model.
>
> While Mikeal may be tired of doing backflips, I don't mind. The first
> couple of backflips you might hit your head, but then they become easy
> and you might find them invigorating as well. :)

It's a tradeoff. Sometimes it's worth the backflips. For some use cases you have no choice,
writing an offline app you have many of the same constraints so you might as well write offline
apps as couchapps.

Sometimes it's easy to forget how much of building couchapps is simple because CouchDB is
simple, and writing an app in node.js with CouchDB as a datastore is still quite simple even
if it's a little more complicated than a couchapp and as you start doing those backflips it
might be simpler to break out of the couchapp model and keep CouchDB as a backend store.

-Mikeal

> Ryan
>
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rogers@gmail.com> wrote:

since changed the command line api.

>>> Thks.  Wow, this is so simple and works great.
>>>
>>> Now a question:  since making a couch app is so easy, why are not more people
using it ?  Are couch apps limited versus using a full MVC backend (ie Express, Strata, ..)

>> There are definitely limitations, pulling info in to the page that isn't in your
database isn't doable, _list and _show are pretty slow so you're limited to single page apps
if you want to keep things really fast.

>> For simple things, nothing is simpler than a couchapp, but as your app gets more
complex you're going to start doing backflips to get it to fit in to the couchapp model.