From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Reconciling Data
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:29:42 GMT

On Nov 2, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Henri van den Bulk wrote:

Unfortunately the source system does not keep track of changes so there is no way of knowing
what the changes were. We've toyed around to maybe putting the data in an intermediate database
from which we can then do sql queries like not in and hash compares. However, this seems to
defeat the purpose of having couch.

If you get the doc IDs from the source system, sort them and write them one per line to a
simple text file, you can then efficiently compare two versions of that file (by reading them
line by line in parallel) to find which IDs have been added or removed in the interim. You
could practically do this with a shell script (using the sort and diff tools).

—Jens