From Jens Alfke <>
Subject Re: Health care software utilizing CouchDB
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:51:52 GMT

On Oct 31, 2011, at 11:59 AM, Nolan Darilek wrote:

How do you handle data encryption? Or are you not US-based?

You can encrypt the sensitive data, base64-encode the resulting blob and then put that into
a property of a document.
The disadvantage, of course, is that you can’t index or filter based on this data because
view functions can’t read it.
The only alternative I can think of is to encrypt the entire database file, which would probably
involve splicing into CouchDB at a low level to insert a block cipher into the file I/O code.