From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Help installing CouchDB on Ubuntu
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2011 03:37:20 GMT
On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Keith Gable <ziggy@ignition-project.com> wrote:
> But I see where you're coming from. Which is why I think that iriscouch made
> build-couchdb but I may be mistaken.

The thing to remember about build-couchdb is it is strictly a *build*
tool in the traditional sense of Unix software. It is not a software
bundle. It is not a package. It is not an installer. (Although it is a
component in such projects.)

build-couchdb is conceptually `./configure && make && make install`.
Sysadmins tend to consider that a complete solution; programmers tend
to consider it not. `make install` is just some files on a disk;
bringing them alive still takes work. That work is site-specific. It
is hard even to define those goals, much less achieve them in
build-couchdb.

--
Iris Couch