From Alexander Shorin <>
Subject Re: Health care software utilizing CouchDB
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:07:42 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Jens Alfke <> wrote:
> You can encrypt the sensitive data, base64-encode the resulting blob and then put that
into a property of a document.
> The disadvantage, of course, is that you can’t index or filter based on this data because
view functions can’t read it.
> The only alternative I can think of is to encrypt the entire database file, which would
probably involve splicing into CouchDB at a low level to insert a block cipher into the file
I/O code.

With some modifications of query server you're still able to index
encrypted data suffering perfomance penalty from encryption/decryption
ops. Filters, however, could not work properly at all (e.g.
startkey/endkey against some vital data) in this case, but you could
design your view in way to workaround this problem.

View raw message