From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Linux Alternatives for CouchDB
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:28:28 GMT
On 24 October 2011 16:57, Clarke Bishop <cbishop@resultantsys.com> wrote:
> I am setting up a development environment to learn CouchDB. But, I'm using
> Windows.

Hey Clarke,

You can run CouchDB in windows with the same experience as on linux.
Read http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Quirks_on_Windows to make sure
your shell quoting is OK with the various curl examples. Use my
bundled windows installer at
https://github.com/downloads/dch/couchdb/setup-couchdb-1.1.0+COUCHDB-1152_otp_R14B03.exe
and you'll not need any other bundled dependencies. Just edit the
local.ini file to allow access from other IP addresses (bind_address =
0.0.0.0) and you're away.

For pushing code in/out of couchdb, I usually use couchapp.exe from
BenoƮt https://github.com/downloads/couchapp/couchapp/couchapp-0.8.1-win.zip
although I've not personally tried this specific version.There are a
number of other tools listed on http://couchapp.org/page/index
including kanso as you've noted.

> I tried Cygwin, but kept running into various problems. So, I decided to
> switch to Linux running under VMware. I still think this is the best
> direction.

Yes, longterm get comfortable with linux and skip cygwin, it is
another slow world of pain. Kanso is very cool but I didn't get node +
kanso working on windows natively. You're best off running this in a
linux shell directly.

A good halfway house is to run a hosted couchdb instance, and use
couchapp or a similar tool to push your data up & down. Ryan has a
slick java-based tool for this and there's a whole other slew of these
all listed on http://couchapp.org/.

> I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu (11.10) and installed it. But,
> then I discovered that CouchDB 1.1 support was limited, and I haven't been
> able to get CouchDB installed.

This is probably the most frustrating part of CouchDB - we have
several important dependencies including OpenSSL, Erlang and Mozilla's
JavaScript interpreter. These are very common and often each distro
has differing versions than the ones we'd prefer to use.

So the fastest way to get running is to use a free hosted tier from
iriscouch.com or cloudant.com. I think couchbase also provides an
ubuntu compatible single server install that includes these, but I've
not tried it. Again YMMV as you are discovering!

A+
Dave