From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Doc design / performace
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:38:41 GMT
On 21 October 2011 06:06, Thomas Hommers <thomas.hommers@ebalu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am quite new to couchDB and trying to build a sales application.

Welcome!

> I designed a document as product. One product consist of multiple
sub-products that are unique to one product.
> Next i designed a sales document that consists of multiple products. The
quantity of each sub-product can be chosen independent.

Does 1 doc = 1 product incl all sub-products? or are there references within
1 doc to another, .e.g to use via include_docs=true? Perhaps you can post a
link to a few sample docs for us to look at.

> When i know want to see the total sales quantity, i created a view that
runs through all sales-docs and emits the sold quantity, with the product-
and sub-product-number as keys. This way I am able to see the sold quantity
by product and by sub-product with a reduce function.

Ditto. This seems reasonable, and given that once the view is built, the
intermediate values are cached in the view file, this shouldn't be too slow.

> The problem i am facing is that it takes a long time to display an
overview of all quantities.

What is your expectation vs what you saw? How are you querying the view?

> Did i maybe design something wrong and should take another approach? e.g.
maybe I should create a doc for each sub-product instead of having them all
in one product-doc? Would this be faster?

> I am really thankful for any advice, hint or comment.
>
> Regards
> Thomas

Generally,