From "john.tiger" <john.tigernas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help installing CouchDB on Ubuntu
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 01:46:14 GMT
okay - got couch 1.1.0 installed okay on Ubuntu 11.10 (I prefer to
install from source and programmers should be able to follow that)  -
bit of a mess since the xulrunner pkgs had to come from Maverick
repositories

I followed instructions below from ewhitmor27 but I had to do the following:

1) google for the packages.ubuntu xulrunner-1.9.2-dev, xulrunner-1.9.2
and download - I took mine from the Maverick repository
2) sudo apt-get install libnss3-dev libnotify-dev libiw-dev
libdbus-glib-1-dev libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev libnspr4-0d
3) sudo dpkg -i xul*.deb
4) also don't forget to use sudo for your apt-gets
5) in the ./configure - I had to use xulrunner-devel-1.9.2.23
6) again use sudo for most system commands
7) my adduser did not work since I already had a couch user installed
8) I did not mess with the firewall - not sure if I should or not

ewhitmor27
PDA
July 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I couldnt find anyone who posted an installation guide for building
couchdb 1.1.0 on
ubuntu 11.04 that worked. So here is my build instructions which i setup
on a clean
install of ubuntu 11.04.
I hope this helps someone.
Eric

apt-get build-dep couchdb
apt-get install xulrunner-1.9.2-dev
apt-get install erlang-eunit
mkdir data
cd /data/
wget http://www.eng.lsu.edu/mirrors/apache//couchdb/1.1.0/apache-couchdb-
1.1.0.tar.gz
tar -xvf apache-couchdb-1.1.0.tar.gz
cd apache-couchdb-1.1.0
./configure --prefix=/data/couchdb
--with-js-lib=/usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9.2.17/lib --
with-js-include=/usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9.2.17/include
make && sudo make install
To open up the firewall after updating default.ini bind address to 0.0.0.0:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -d 0/0 -s 0/0 --dport 5984 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -d 0/0 -s 0/0 --dport 6984 -j ACCEPT
Make it so couchdb will start after reboot
adduser --system --home /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb --no-create-home
--shell /bin/bash -
-group --gecos "CouchDB Administrator" couchdb
chown -R couchdb:couchdb /data/couchdb
chmod -R 0770 /data/couchdb
cp /data/couchdb/etc/init.d/couchdb /etc/init.d/
update-rc.d couchdb defaults

On 10/26/2011 07:11 PM, Robert Wadholm wrote:
> Should work on the latest Ubuntu if that's what you've got. Try the Single Server Community
Edition 32-bit or 64-bit Linux Debian package 1.2.0 (based on Apache CouchDB 1.1.x) at http://www.couchbase.com/downloads/couchbase-single-server/community.
You'll probably need to first make sure there aren't any remnants of Couch from previous installs
still on your machine (may cause installation and/or run time issues).