From CGS <cgsmcml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Intermittent Connection Problems
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:38:19 GMT
It seems stable and not that bad to raise the error you spoke of. But
did you encount the problem while this test was done?

As you can notice, I am trying blindly to determine if there is a
problem in your server network configuration. It may be that your server
was set up correctly and I am sending you to a wild goose chase. I
apologize for that, but error 111 speaks mostly about a problem in
connecting to the server and since you reported that there is nothing
wrong in the CouchDB log nor in your firewall, I do not know where
exactly the problem may come from. If anyone has a better idea how to
debug this, please, by all means, override my approach.

Try to put bind_address a dedicated address (e.g., 127.0.0.1 or
107.20.142.27) and restart CouchDB. That's because 0.0.0.0 is listening
all the bind addresses generally and if there is something wrong in one
address bind setup, that may cause problems (unlikely, but not
impossible). So here is what I propose:
1. Set your bind_address to 127.0.0.1 and check from the same machine
curl http://127.0.0.1:5984.
2. If it doesn't work, try change the port to 80 (if you don't have
anything else running on that port) and restart CouchDB as root. Check
again, but do not add port number to the address.
3. If you have something running on port 80, try curl
http://127.0.0.1:80 (port number not necessary) and if it is working
properly, stop your application and follow point 2.
4. Try the same for 107.20.142.27.
5. If it is not working, then stop CouchDB, clear the log and start it
again. See if reports something wrong in accessing the
configuration/log/pid or any other file (it can be that the path toward
one of those files is broken - running as root overrides all the
permissions, so, it shouldn't be a matter of permissions).
6. If anyone has a better idea, please, disregard this post (as I said
it before).

If all these are not reporting anything wrong and still you get the same
problem, you may want to ask for the help of one of the system
administrators in charge of your server.

Cheers,
CGS

PS: If I will get any other idea, I will come back with a post.

On 10/25/2011 11:07 PM, Ron Dyck wrote:
> Opened up and here are results:
> 64 bytes from ec2-107-20-142-27.compute-1.amazonaws.com
> (107.20.142.27): icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=2.00 ms
> 64 bytes from ec2-107-20-142-27.compute-1.amazonaws.com
> (107.20.142.27): icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=2.02 ms
> 64 bytes from<myaddress>: icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=2.02 ms
> 64 bytes from<myaddress>: icmp_seq=4 ttl=54 time=2.06 ms
> 64 bytes from<myaddress>: icmp_seq=5 ttl=54 time=2.07 ms
> 64 bytes from<myaddress>: icmp_seq=6 ttl=54 time=2.02 ms
> 64 bytes from<myaddress>: icmp_seq=7 ttl=54 time=2.19 ms
> 64 bytes from<myaddress>: icmp_seq=8 ttl=54 time=2.00 ms
> 64 bytes from<myaddress>: icmp_seq=9 ttl=54 time=2.13 ms
> 64 bytes from<myaddress>: icmp_seq=10 ttl=54 time=2.05 ms
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:42 PM, CGS<cgsmcmlxxv@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Try ping to the server to see the latency. If it is slow, then that may be
>> the problem. Also, ping should give you the stability of your connection to
>> the server.
>>

>> On 10/25/2011 10:30 PM, Ron Dyck wrote:
>>> That's a bit out of my range of knowledge, but we're still in testing
>>> stage with the site. There really no traffic to speak of.
>>>
>>> ron

IP