From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB Replication lacking resilience for many database
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 00:18:03 GMT
On Oct 10, 2011, at 8:02 PM, Chris Stockton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Filipe David Manana
> <fdmanana@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Chris Stockton
>> <chrisstocktonaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>> That said work is in the'1.2.x' branch (and master).
>> CouchDB recently migrated from SVN to GIT, see:
>> http://couchdb.apache.org/community/code.html
>>

> Thank you very much for the response Filipe, do you possibly have any
> documentation or more detailed summary on what these changes include
> and possible benefits of them? I would love to hear about any tweaking
> or replication tips you may have for our growth issues, perhaps you
> could answer a basic question if nothing else: Do the changes in this
> branch minimize the performance impact of continuous replication on
> many databases?
>
> Regardless I plan on getting a build of that branch and doing some
> testing of my own very soon.
>
> Thank you!
>
> -Chris

I'm pretty sure that even in 1.2.x and master each replication with a remote source still
requires one dedicated TCP connection to consume the _changes feed.  Replications with a local
source have always been able to use a connection pool per host:port combination.  That's not
to downplay the significance of the rewrite of the replicator in 1.2.x; Filipe put quite a
lot of time into it.

The link to "those darn errors" just pointed to the mbox browser for September 2011.  Do you
have a more specific link?  Regards,

Adam