From Konstantin Cherkasov <c...@imarto.net>
Subject Re: High latency (40ms) and low request rate (10 rps) under windows
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:20:54 GMT
Hi!

> I am not sure what is your point with this thread because I notice
> frustration and mockery in your posts, but failing to understand why.
> Maybe because I am slow, who knows? You joined this and devs list just
> to prove that CouchDB is slow? If you don't like CouchDB, PostgreSQL is
> faster and it's all you need (speed for one session in serialized
> writing), why bother to write here?

Sorry, but why did you conclude that I do not like CouchDB?
I've been using CouchDB about a year for different applications, but I'm seriously worried
about its performance.
I'm trying to draw attention to an issue (quite possibly it actually exists).
And yes, to find out what the problem is I'm trying to compare the behavior of different
databases on the same hardware.

FYI
Recently quite tricky bug in couchdb-python was fixed.
It was in the code responsible for http and led to unnecessary delays in Restful API.
As a result, the latency decreased by 4-5 times. This bug has been there for several
years until someone tested and started asking questions.

[...]

> It's not so difficult to create a buffer and to
> send all the documents at once using this kind of operation

The keyword is BUFFER (which means "one day I will lose part of customer's data, but I do
not care").
Actually you don't need any buffer as an external component.
Just use "batch=ok"(it's 2 times faster than delayed_commits = true) and CouchDB will buffer
for you.

--
 Konstantin