From "Clarke Bishop" <cbis...@resultantsys.com>
Subject RE: Linux Alternatives for CouchDB
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:12:09 GMT
Thanks for all your ideas Dave!

I have installed couchDB on windows and I already have an iriscouch.com
hosted version, too.

Where I want to end up is:
- Able to use all my Windows development tools
- Have a solid couchDB development setup so I can easily build and test
couch apps
- Be able to run Kanso smoothly

If I run Linux under VMware, and put all my dev files in a shared folder, I
can do all my development, and just switch to Linux to push/run my apps. I'm
also trying to consolidate everything on a USB hard drive, so I can take my
dev environment with me.

Benoit's tools are cool, too. I'll take a closer look at his new Erica tool.
I found Evently confusing before.

What I liked about Kanso is the ability to serve either HTML or javascript
to the client. And, it has kind of a built-in admin.

I think couch apps have a lot of promise. It's just hard to get down the
learning curve -- There are too many variations. If you already know what
you are doing, no problem. But, it really makes learning hard.

I can always just back up and use an app server language I already know,
probably ColdFusion. But, there's just something cool about having the
database serve the app!

   Clarke