From Monica Razdan <mon...@almende.org>
Subject Re: Caching in BigCouch
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 20:46:54 GMT
Julien thanks for your reply. Your experience helps me to reflect back on my use case.

Robert, I'm investigating the possibilities of scaling couchdb using  BigCouch. However, I
haven't been able to find documents or resources about the performance and scaling benchmarks?

Svein,
Thanks for your post! I'm investigating couchbase server as well at this moment.

Has anyone ran some performance and/or scaling test on bigCouch or Couchbase server?

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Julien Gagnet <julien.gagnet@gmail.com> wrote:
> No. Couchdb and Bigcouch don't provide any caching. It relies on disk caching.
>
> So even if you see the couch process taking little memory, that
> doesn't mean you won't get any improvement in adding more memory to
> the box. The disk cache use a sophisticated LRU algorithm and should
> provide what you're after. We recently were hitted by a performance
> issue and using local disk wasn't an option, we've been able to
> increase the memory up to a point where most of the db fit in the disk
> caching and solve our problem.
>
> Julien
>
> On 19 September 2011 22:15, Monica Razdan <monica@almende.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm my quest to find clustering for  couchdb using hadoop I stumbled upon this blog
>>
>> http://mpouttuclarke.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/couchdb-and-hadoop/
>>
>> The author mentions here about LRU caching being used by hadoop.  I have a huge dataset
sorted on timestamp and caching on timestamp like LRU would be important for my use case.
Does bigCouch offers such mechanism under it's hood ?