From Martin Hewitt <mar...@thenoi.se>
Subject MochiWeb, acceptor pool sizes and handoffs
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:55:40 GMT
Hi all,

We've got a dedicated CouchDB server and I'm looking at ways we can improve its performance.
One I've hit on is increasing the size of the MochiWeb acceptor pool, but a background thought
occurred to me: does CouchDB hold open MochiWeb acceptor threads whilst it runs whatever process
(i.e. a view rebuild if a view's requested) is needed or does it hand-off to another thread,
returning the MochiWeb thread to the pool? Is the MochiWeb thread released if the client closes
the HTTP connection?

We're currently using HEAD requests to keep view rebuilds ticking over, which works fine,
and, as far as I can tell, releases a MochiWeb thread right away, as soon as the request is
completed, but I'm just thinking about circumstances under which the thread pool might become
saturated.

An aside: what's the default size of the thread pool?

Thanks,

Martin