From daniel davis <shoef...@gmail.com>
Subject does CouchDB fit my project?
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 12:30:21 GMT
Hello,

I think that CouchDB is a good fit for the project i'm working on but I'm
not sure. I would appreciate advice.
what I have is a central server in charge of tracking
items, their bar-codes and whether those bar-codes were scanned and several
devices doing the scanning.
performance is important.
data has no relations.

due to customer requirements I need the data on the items locally on the
devices and as current as possible. the network connection is expected to be
patchy at times.
when a device scans an item it must be notified if it was already scanned.

what I thought I can do was:
1) run a local couchDB server on each of the devices and have
them continually replicate the server's database, this way I have a
good syncing implementation that I don't need to build from scratch.
2) to keep things simple at this point I will only make actual changes to
the documents on the server and have those changes replicated onto the
clients, trusting couchDB to send me an error HTTP response if two devices
try to mark the same item as scanned (the first will update the document,
then the second's command revision won't be appropriate anymore) since for
now I'd rather avoid conflicts than deal with them.

I have come across criticism that this will leave me very susceptible to
network errors, is the incremental replication process give me reasonable
protection?
does this sound workable?
has this issue been resolved yet? =>
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@couchdb.apache.org/msg02711.html