From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject What fields in _attachments are official?
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 04:23:11 GMT
Which fields of an attachment structure in a document are part of the API, and which are subject
to change?

The wiki only talks about “content_type”, “length”, “data” and “stub”.
But in real life, I also see “digest” and “revpos”.

The “digest” field in particular is very useful — I’m working on digital signatures
for documents, and since attachments should be considered part of the document, they need
to be signed along with it. If the _attachments dictionary contains a digest, then signing
it effectively includes the attachment in the signature. But I don’t want to rely on this
if the field might change format or go away in a future version of CouchDB.

—Jens