From Jens Alfke <>
Subject Re: binaries for OSX ?
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:46:00 GMT

On Aug 16, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Keith Gable wrote:

Download their .app, show package contents, find the binaries, copy to your

It’s more than binaries. There’s a whole directory tree in there that mimics the normal
installation paths of the components, plus config files and such. Also, the application wrapper
code does stuff like install a menu-bar item (NSStatusItem) which you almost certainly don’t
want in your app.

For iOS we’ve gotten CouchDB+Erlang+SpiderMonkey packaged up in a framework* that can be
linked into your app. I would like to do the same for Mac OS X, for apps like yours that want
to embed CouchDB, but that’s more a personal desire than a job priority. I’ve gotten as
far as building Erlang as a dylib, but there’s more work to do.