From John Cheng <johnlich...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB performance
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 19:29:40 GMT
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:36 AM, John Cheng <johnlicheng@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> Hi John, first thing I'd point out is that Filipe and Paul have done quite
>> a lot of work on the JSON processor since 1.0.2 was released.  Trunk
>> contains a JSON processor that calls out to YAJL instead of relying on pure
>> Erlang code.  The improvement for large document bodies is pretty
>> substantial.  Also, processing MBs of JSON is going to be CPU-bound in
>> 1.0.2.  CouchDB makes good use of multicore servers to distribute some of
>> the load if you throw concurrent requests at it.  Hope that helps,
>>
>> Adam
>>

> It does help here. I'll see if I can get compile the latest version of
> CouchDB on Ubuntu 10 LTS. It's been an adventure trying to compile CouchDB
> so far!

Just compiled CouchDB 1.1.0

Testing with doc target size = "100 kB", # of properties = "10", updates =
"500", numDocs = "100"
each document is approximately 100.1 kB
Using increment handler function to perform update
500 updates in 42.1960351467 seconds, 11.8494545343 ops/second

Now the updates dropped from 23 updates/sec to 11.84 updates/second

Even inserts dropped to 24 inserts/second. Accroding to iostat, CPU was
mostly idle (~85 to 92%) and I'm only getting 300 kB writes per second.

I guess this could be a problem with httplib2. Is there any configuration or
compile time options I may have missed that could cause such a big drop in
performance?

--
---
John L Cheng