From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multi node topology
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:26:41 GMT
Robert,

There are two projects for running CouchDB in a cluster:
CouchDB-Lounge and BigCouch. CouchDB-Lounge is a combination of an
nginx module and Python proxy that handles managing multiple backend
CouchDB nodes. BigCouch is a pure Erlang implementation that works
more like Dynamo.

[1] http://tilgovi.github.com/couchdb-lounge/
[2] http://github.com/cloudant/bigcouch

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Robert Elliot <rob@lidalia.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are considering setting up a cluster with more than two nodes. There is a lot of documentation
regarding two nodes but we couldn't find an exact answer for let's say a cluster of 4 nodes.

> Would you recommend a multi-master setup where all nodes receive writes?  This would
be simpler to setup and administer, and would also be the most fault tolerant (any combination
of nodes can be shutdown so long as one is still active).

> If so, should we use only push replication?  Or only pull replication?  Or a combination
of both?

> Assuming we are using pull replication within 4 nodes: A, B, C and D. Should we set up
A to pull changes from B, C and D, B to pull changes from A, C and D, C to pull changes from
A, B and D and D to pull changes from A, B and C? Is this the recommended approach?