From Gregor Martynus <gre...@martynus.net>
Subject to CouchApp or not to CouchApp
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 18:10:08 GMT
I had some discussions on the CouchConf last Friday about the pros & cons of
a CouchApp vs. a traditional 3 tier architecture. I'm new to CouchDB myself,
I don't have strong opinions yet. My thoughts so far

PRO

   1. portability:
   a CouchApp has both application logic and data in the same module.
   Together with its replication features one could very easily take the same
   app used for a web app and put it into a mobile phone or an enterprise
   intranet/extranet.
   2. simplicity / reach:
   It empowers a lot of UI Designers/Developers to build Database backed
   applications. That's pretty impressive, you know jQuery? You can build
   couchApps.

CONTRA

   1. security:
   CouchApp comes with build in signup/signin, but what keeps users to
   access pages like »/db/_all_docs?include_docs=true« ? There is now way to
   hide documents created by User A from User B with CouchDB's build in
   features as far as I understand it.
   2. scaleability:
   there are more possibilities to scale with a 3 tier architecture than
   there are for CouchApps

What do you think? Do you have a CouchApp running today in Production?
What's your experience so far?

I'd be happy to summarize the opinions and put them up on the couchDB wiki
so that everybody can benefit from it.