From Simon Leblanc <sim.lebl...@gmail.com>
Subject Rewrite /user/bob to user:bob
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:47:34 GMT
Hello,

I'm trying to write a couchapp with multiple users. Two users can't have the same name, since
I want to access user bob's profile through /user/bob.
Similarly, I store other documents (let's call them stuffs) with unique ids that I would like
to access through /stuff/somestuff.
A user can have the same name as a stuff, and vice versa. That's why I can't use bob or somestuff
as _id (otherwise I couldn't have a stuff named bob or a user named somestuff).

I see 3 options:
use different databases for users and stuffs, but that means two design documents and it kind
of defeats the purpose of couchapps
use uuids and deal with names in a custom manner. Sounds difficult. I would really prefer
the third option:
use a naming convention for ids, like user:bob and stuff:somestuff.

My favorite choice so far is the third option. The colon can be replaced by any character,
like dash, underscore, comma, @ or even nothing if this can help. The prefix can also be a
postfix.
I initially tried with a forward slash which was perfect until I realized it was not really
supported and it caused problems with update functions (see COUCHDB-1229).

Is it possible to rewrite /user/bob to, for instance, /_show/profile/user:bob or /_show/profile/user_bob
?
I tried {"from": "user/*", "to": "_show/profile/user:bob"} and variants with no success.

If it is not possible, what would be the best alternative?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Simon

PS: For the sake of learning, I'm trying to write a pure couchapp without client-side javascript…