From Michael Aufreiter ...@zive.at>
Subject Re: Guys with deep knowledge about CouchDB Replication, I'd need your help :)
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:11:50 GMT
Thanks. Will investigate that. However here's what I've got so far (involving localstorage):

http://substance.io/#michael/offline-applications-with-datajs

-- Michael
On Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Randall Leeds wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 04:12, Michael Aufreiter <ma@zive.at (mailto:ma@zive.at)>
wrote:

> > Nice. Having a look at it.
> >
> > It really depends on how much functionality you wanna delegate to the client. In
my opinion, in most cases you wan't to keep the amount of local data low. That's why I'll
probably use localstorage to memoize a complete snapshot of the current graph. Once you reload
the page all data is loaded into memory again (restored) and you can query it as usual (using
Data.Graph#find). So in my case I'd rather wanna use just LocalStorage without employing indexedDB
etc. as local views(map-reduce etc) wouldn't be an requirement here. But what I need to solve
is the replication thing.

> To solve replication and safely allow the application to be used
> across tabs you need indexedDB because it has transactions.
>
> Let me break that deduction down:
> Incremental replication requires a restart-able changes feed. A
> changes feed requires an index of updates order by time/sequence
> number. A sequence index that's kept in sync with the index of
> documents ordered by name requires changes to two indexes in an atomic
> transaction or race conditions are possible.
>
> If you're not worried about replicating incrementally or you're not
> worried about the possibility of race conditions (e.g., concurrent
> access by multiple tabs) you might be able to use LocalStorage,
> otherwise you'll need IndexedDB.
>
> Since PouchDB aims to be a robust and general-purpose implementation
> of CouchDB it uses IndexedDB.
>
> -Randall
>

> > On Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Max Ogden wrote:
> >
> > > beginnings of an html5 couch: https://github.com/mikeal/pouchdb
> > >
> > > it would be great to get @mikeal and @tilgovi to chime in on this
> > > thread as they were writing the replicator for that

apps, involving CouchDB and Data.js. I already introduced Data.js here at this mailing list
the other day, but here's a link again:

does not pull in node-updates. Now this should change.

(other users might have updated them), and if yes, pull them in

between the pull and the push it's unlikely to run into conflicts when doing the push.

I can re-use some of the concepts.

to the server. The server (resp. Couch) should then check if there are updates for any of
them. If yes, those nodes should be fetched and delivered to the client. Given that number
of ID/revision pairs, what would be the best way to check for updates? Or do you have any
other ideas on how to do the pull?

do their best to keep the local graph rather small (the bigger it gets the more overhead you
have when doing the push, also more memory is used). However this should suit a lot of scenarios
(like in my case making possible offline editing of Substance.io (http://Substance.io) documents)

a framework (Data.js+Couch) would be a great benefit for application developers who wan't
to build offline apps. What do you think?