From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject A proposed schema for to-do list apps
Date Sat, 06 Aug 2011 22:08:59 GMT
Lately I’ve been tweaking the Couchbase Mobile “Shopping-Sync” to-do list example app[1],
while simultaneously shopping around for a new to-do list / GTD app to use in my own life[2].
This got me thinking that the schema for a to-do list in CouchDB is pretty straightforward,
and it would be a good idea to define one so that, as list apps are written for or ported
to CouchDB, they can interoperate on a single database. That way users would be able to try
out several apps without having to export/import data, and even use different apps on different
devices.

So I made a wiki page:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/SchemaForToDoList

I’m considering extending the Couchbase demo app to add some of these extra features (stars,
tags, multiple lists), mostly to demonstrate how these are done in CouchDB and the CouchCocoa[3]
framework. I don’t think it can or should compete against real products like Things or Wunderlist!
But it would be awesome to, at some point, evangelize CouchDB to the developers of those apps,
since debugging sync algorithms probably isn’t the most fun part of their jobs.

—Jens

[1] https://github.com/couchbaselabs/iOS-Couchbase-Demo
[2] I’ve tentatively settled on Wunderlist for Mac and iOS. I used to use Things, and might
welcome (by direct email to me).
[3] https://github.com/couchbaselabs/CouchCocoa