From Max Ogden <...@maxogden.com>
Subject Re: Run Local Button - Improving End User Experience
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:05:03 GMT
Sounds cool! I have been thinking in a similar vein but trying to keep
everything in JavaScript :P I started hacking on this chrome extension that
detects couchapps as your browse (thanks to some code from @sbisbee) and
lets you replicate them to your couch:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clbdmcdmjlpgedncppkbkepbilnhgddh

I've also been hacking on Pouch, which is a pure javascript implementation
of Couch that will let you replicate data into HTML5 indexeddb. CouchApps
can then be written using the HTML5 offline cache manifest specification and
'installed' into the browser that way.

This stuff is months and months from being usable but I thought i'd chime in
on how i'm approaching the problem.

I also think that the chrome extension could be improved upon to more
generically be the kind of 'Download + run local' button that you are
talking about

Max

p.s. check out the couch management utilities on Jason's github account:
http://github.com/iriscouch you might be able to repurpose some of that
stuff