From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Starting _changes from the current sequence number?
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 09:47:44 GMT
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:
> For my purposes I want to use the _changes feed to get notified of future changes to
the database, but not of historical changes. So essentially I want to pass “the current
sequence number” as the value of the ?since parameter. This seems like a common pattern
— is there any easy shorthand for this, other than first GETting the database URL and looking
up the update_seq property?

> —Jens

Hi, Jens. In my opinion, and in my experience, this feature is not as
helpful as it first seems.

The reason (again, YMMV) is that real-world applications need to hit
the db URL anyway, to

* Sanity check: confirm that couch is up
* Sanity check: confirm that you have reader (member) permission
* Check if compaction is running, to postpone low-priority work that
would add load

For my money, I'd rather see the _security object included in the
database response so today's 2 sanity checks would be tomorrow's 1
check. (Not a real feature proposal, just trying to give my
perspective.)

--
Iris Couch