From Dave Cottlehuber <>
Subject Re: couchdb server pidfile location
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 21:47:57 GMT
On 1 July 2011 07:57, Zdenek Maxa <> wrote:
> Hello.
> I need to find out couchdb server pidfile location (or main process pid
> directly) via a query. Stuff like /_config, /_log, /_stats is useful and
> nowhere seems to be this pid/pidfile information. In other words, is
> there anything as simple as for mysql:
> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'pid_file'. I have given up after lots of searching
> and I will greatly appreciate your help. Thanks very much in advance.
> Zdenek

Hi Zdenek,

This isn't exposed via the HTTP API today and use of pidfiles is not
consistent across OS in general.

couchdb on unixes is run from {prefix}/bin/couchdb. If you grep that
file for PID you'll find a default on my Mac its:

Which interestingly is empty on my mac as my couchdb is run from launchd.

Starting it as sudo -u couchdb couchdb -b does what is expected.

You should be able to run couchdb -s to see what the pid is if couchdb
is running in background mode.

View raw message