From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB embedded in Eclipse - current status?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 13:18:34 GMT

On 4 Jun 2011, at 15:03, Marcel Bruch wrote:

> On 04.06.2011, at 13:45, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

in "embedded mode" is just like calling like any other third party command-line tool. What
other specific requirements does Eclipse have?

>>> The word "embedded" was not well chosen. It shouldn't be required to have a local
Erlang runtime nor CouchDB to be installed *before* on client side.

>>> However, I just recognized that couchdb is started via commandline "/usr/bin/erl
<many options>", right? Thus, what's needed is (i) a Erlang runtime installation as
a plug-in and (ii) a couchdb installation as plug-in. Both plug-ins would be platform-specific,
right?

>>> If so, we need to come up with 2 x 2 x "OS-Variants" plug-ins? If we would like
to support Mac 32/64, Win 32/64, Linux 32/64 we need 2 x 2 x 6 = 24 plug-ins?

>>> Thanks helping me to grasp what would be needed to run CouchDB on a client.
>>
>> https://github.com/jhs/build-couchdb will build a CouchDB and all dependencies for
you in a neat package. But yeah, you'd need one per architecture if you want to have it all
fit (64bit Mac OS X *can* run 32bit binaries e.g.), but if the procedure of producing a plugin
is automated, I'm sure a lot of people would pitch into providing binaries.

> your build script works like a charm. Just a few questions regarding you build:

It's Jason's but yeah, it works great :)

> It seems that *everything* required to run couch has been built and packaged below build/
(including Erlang), right?

Correct.

> There is no dependency anymore that needs to be installed before I can run CouchDB on
my machine, i.e., if I copy the build folder to another machine (same OS) it should work there
too?

Correct.

> If so, then it might become quite easy to create Eclipse bundles from it - and along
with Ryan's management scripts it should be straight forward (more or less). The issue with
"one plug-in per platform" remains but may be acceptable if others contribute builds for different
platforms.

> Another one: Is Couch itself platform dependent - or just Erlang? (you see, I'm quite
foolish when it comes to Erlang)

What kind of platform dependency are you referring to?

Cheers
Jan
--

> If not, there is another solution we might come up with: I was asking on the Erlide mailing
list for support on building Erlang runtime as Eclipse plug-in. It seems that this should
be possible. Maybe there is one solution that solves more than just one problem. We'll see.
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27599848