From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: Has Erlang's promise of parallelism been realised in CouchDB?
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:26:04 GMT
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:21, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
> Individual view building is sequential and it's hard to see how it
> could be otherwise, given then append-only nature of view files today.

IIRC JSON encoding/decoding and the process of running the actual view
functions is a non-trivial part of view building, which could be
somewhat trivially parallellized at least for the map functions. I.e.,
if there are 10000 new documents to index, why not start 4 view
servers and let each of them process 25% of the updated documents? The
writes will be serialized again, of course, but I didn't think the
disk writes were the bottleneck for the view indexer?

Cheers,

Dirkjan