From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Installation on NAS (e.g. QNAP 419+)
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:25:55 GMT
On 16 June 2011 02:37, Johannes Schneider <mailings@cedarsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I would love to see CouchDB running on my NAS
> http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=183
>
> This is an ARM based NAS that has a Linux system running.
> Since I don't have any experience compiling CouchDB and there is no
> compiler available on the NAS, I don't have an idea how to solve that
> issue...
>
> I downloaded the source distribution and executed ./configure. Attached
> the output of the log file down here...

[snip]
> configure:3265: error: in `/opt/apache-couchdb-1.1.0':
> configure:3267: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

Hi Johannes

I expect you will spend a fair bit of time fiddling & cajoling this to
work. In my personal experience cross-compiling is not worth the
effort; you are better off getting a native toolchain up & running.
Although this is also not easy, and if you're not careful you could
end up with your NAS not being bootable.

There are a few people who have done this before for qnap -
http://www.tazenda.demon.co.uk/phil/arm-tools.html
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?p=129749#p129749

A bit more google-fu should see you right - qnap arm native compiler
or toolchain. This is the same thing I am working through on the
CouchDB Windows build, and while its slow progress some weeks I am
learning a lot & definitely enjoying it.

Good luck!!
Dave