From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to identify new docs in the _changes feed?
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:26:39 GMT
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 10:17, Jens Alfke <jens@mooseyard.com> wrote:
> By watching the _changes feed I can detect when a document is deleted (via the “deleted”
key), but is there a way to tell when a new document is created? There doesn’t seem to be
a corresponding extra key in the notification in this case.

> I am tempted to look for a prefix of “1-“ in the revision, but I’m pretty sure
that this is an implementation detail and revision IDs should be treated as purely opaque
cookies, amiright?

Youisright. But it would work. ;)

> The cheapest alternative I can think of is to do a HEAD on the _all_docs view after I
get a new notification from _changes, and see if its ETag has changed.

> —Jens

Careful, this is not cheap (yet):
(The workaround is be sure to specify ?limit=1 or some similarly
restrictive query)

Why do you need to know the difference and what defines "created" for you?
Would a document that replicated from elsewhere count as "created" or
only if it's the first revision?
What if revision 2-* replicates in?