From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Installing CouchDB on CentOS 5.6
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 02:07:56 GMT
On 1 June 2011 13:49, Jim R. Wilson <wilson.jim.r@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Pasi - this is a great start.
>
> After download/build/installing erlang, curl and couchdb, when I run couchdb
> nothing happens.  That is, it just hangs.  ps shows that some erlang process
> is running, but there's no stderr or stdout.
>
> Did you run into this problem?  Or, more generally, how do you troubleshoot
> couchdb before it starts listening on 5984?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> -- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)

Common issues are missing permisssions or erlang modules that prevent
the erlang vm from getting to start couch, or incorrect spidermonkey /
xulrunner bits.

By using couchdb -i this then provides you with access to the erlang
shell as it starts. Then try:

crypto:start().
couch:start().

which on my working system shows:

Apache CouchDB has started. Time to relax.
[info] [<0.36.0>] Apache CouchDB has started on http://0.0.0.0:5984/

1> crypto:start().
{error,{already_started,crypto}}
2> couch:start().
{error,{already_started,couch}}
3>

That will likely help sort out what's failing.

Also check out if you've not already:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_SpiderMonkey
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_OSX for permissions issus

A+