From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to identify new docs in the _changes feed?
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 21:41:47 GMT
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:13, Jens Alfke <jens@mooseyard.com> wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2011, at 6:31 PM, Jason Smith wrote:
>
>> _changes is a false prophet.
>> The best bang-for-buck with the _changes feed is cache invalidation: A
>> change is a *hint* that you might want to check something out, but it
>> is (IMHO) not generally the primary trigger to execute some code.
>
> Could you explain that in more detail? In particular, what is it that makes _changes
unreliable? Could something be changed [sic] to make it more reliable/useful?

>> In your case: Require all new docs to have a field "is_new: true".
>> That is very easy to confirm in the validator:
>
> I’m writing a generic framework, not a specific app. I can’t make any assumptions
about the document schema, that’s up to the application. This specific task is just to map
the _changes feed to Cocoa NSNotifications so the client app can act on them.

Would it be a bad idea for some reason to just send every change via
NSNotifications and let the client/app deal with determining if it's
"new" (if they care )?
This sounds more "generic" to me.