From Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: CouchDB embedded in Eclipse - current status?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 13:55:52 GMT
On 04.06.2011, at 15:45, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2011, at 15:38, Marcel Bruch wrote:
>
>> On 04.06.2011, at 15:25, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>>
>>> Ah yes, compiled Erlang byte code works cross-platform. As do internal data serialisation
formats that we use for data storage.

>> OK. Assuming that this compiled code could be separated and packaged in a platform-independent
way we just need one plug-in for CouchDB 1.0.x + one plug-in for each "Erlang Runtime x supported
OS" combination. Thus, this boils down to "how can we use an Erlang Runtime packaged as plug-in".

> I forgot: There's parts of CouchDB that are in C and thus are platform dependent, like
Spidermonkey, the ICU port driver and in trunk the JSON NIFs.

OK.

> I'd still recommend just taking the folder that build-couchdb produces and create one
bundle per architecture.

The build folder is 70MB large. Could this be reduced further? This is not a hard requirement
but it would be nice if this could be reduced a bit.

In any case, I will give it a try and create a simple feature + plug-in for Eclipse that packages
the latest CouchDB w/ Erlang runtime for MacOSX  + code that starts CouchDB from within Eclipse.

Best,
Marcel