From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Spam on the wiki (CouchDB in the Wild contributors, please read this)
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:28:16 GMT
Hello,

Our CouchDB in the Wild page suffers from a lot of spam.

I have now added the following section to the top:

This page shouldn't be used to promote your product or services. It's primary purposes is
as a tool for people to understand how and why CouchDB is being used. If you include a link
here, please tell us how and why you are using CouchDB for some component of your product
or service. If you do not mention CouchDB in your description, or the link looks promotional,
it may be removed as spam.

I have also removed the following sites:

passged
saskiaclothing
mydochub
fixr
gpirate
weddingspartiesanything
youfindr
nofaxpayday-loans
dananghotelsvietnam
vitaminstoda
peasized
teddyandbear
obsono
stackd
swimcatcher

I tried to click through and double check each website to see if I could find any mention
of CouchDB on the about page, or what have you. I am sorry if I removed a genuine site, but
to be blunt, that's not my problem. These sites should have descriptions next to them, as
I have outlined above. If I have removed something in error, please feel free to add it back
again, with a nice long description.

The following entries do not reference CouchDB:

www.ajatus.info
www.anologue.com
www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yhc_web_service
www.mockingeye.com/index.php/2008/04/22/introducing-gargoyle-poi-server
code.google.com/p/erlysocial
arbitracker.org
github.com/jtulloch/scanty/tree/master
dotcloud.org
www.flickr.com/photos/natematias/sets/72157621921932346
carrierclass.net
market.android.com/details?id=com.dcmobi.spreadsong
memorize.com
pylonshq.com
www.friendpaste.com
www.cmlenz.net
scratchpad.cmlenz.net
www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=2359644980
www.moostrax.com
iwantmyname.com
www.pcapr.net
lotsofwords.com
melkjug.org
devconf.se
ubuntuone.com
cloudsplit.com
www.hamstudy.org
www.trechosdemusicas.com
apps.facebook.com/ukissm
apps.facebook.com/getlucky
apps.facebook.com/bdayecard
apps.facebook.com/friend-dashboard
apps.facebook.com/trechos-de-musicas
cybernetics.hudora.biz
sotelips.net

I had added a "Please expand" tag next to each one of the above.

See them here:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/CouchDB_in_the_wild

Now, I am not suggesting that all of these are spam links. I know for certain that many of
these are CouchDB projects, or sites using CouchDB. What I'm saying is that the entry is too
short, and provides no justification for its inclusion on this page.

Back when the project was small, this was okay. So many people use CouchDB now, that we cannot
rely on simply knowing which is real or not any more. The community is too diverse. And including
a link to another site is not good enough. The entry itself should justify its existence.

Ultimately, this isn't just about removing spam, or making that process easier. It's about
improving this page as a resource for the community. I'd like to snatch it back from the grips
of vanity and promotion, and turn it into a list of tiny case-studies, that people can use
as a jumping off point for further exploration.

If you can fill out an entry for any of these, please do so, even if the link was not originally
added by yourself, or the product or service is not your own. As much help as possible would
be great in getting this page up to scratch.

Thanks,