From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB embedded in Eclipse - current status?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 11:45:56 GMT

On 4 Jun 2011, at 11:36, Marcel Bruch wrote:

> On 03.06.2011, at 17:30, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> I don't know much about the state of the above nor eclipse, but running CouchDB in
"embedded mode" is just like calling like any other third party command-line tool. What other
specific requirements does Eclipse have?

> The word "embedded" was not well chosen. It shouldn't be required to have a local Erlang
runtime nor CouchDB to be installed *before* on client side.

> However, I just recognized that couchdb is started via commandline "/usr/bin/erl <many
options>", right? Thus, what's needed is (i) a Erlang runtime installation as a plug-in
and (ii) a couchdb installation as plug-in. Both plug-ins would be platform-specific, right?

> If so, we need to come up with 2 x 2 x "OS-Variants" plug-ins? If we would like to support
Mac 32/64, Win 32/64, Linux 32/64 we need 2 x 2 x 6 = 24 plug-ins?

> Thanks helping me to grasp what would be needed to run CouchDB on a client.

https://github.com/jhs/build-couchdb will build a CouchDB and all dependencies for you in
a neat package. But yeah, you'd need one per architecture if you want to have it all fit (64bit
Mac OS X *can* run 32bit binaries e.g.), but if the procedure of producing a plugin is automated,
I'm sure a lot of people would pitch into providing binaries.

Cheers
Jan