From Patrick Barnes <mrtr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backup, Point In Time recovery
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:07:43 GMT
I would *really* like to have functionality like this...

Perhaps a mechanism to manage serial snapshots of the db's state?

It seems to me be that maybe a snapshot could just be a header that does
not get compacted away, and that one could:
  - 'Roll-back' the database to a given snapshot. (Undo, but not
necissarily Redo)
  - Generate, save, or apply a delta between two snapshots.
  - Clear snapshots when no longer needed, so they are compacted away.

Disclaimer - I may not know what I'm talking about.

-Patrick

On 17/06/2011 4:58 PM, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
> On 17 June 2011 14:55, Thomas Hommers<thomas.hommers@ebalu.com>  wrote:
>> Hi Nils,
>>
>>> CouchDB uses an append-only file format, so you can safely use tools like cp
or rsync to easily create a point-in-time snapshot of a database.

>> That were my thoughts.
>>
>> So it will be replication, then filesystem snapshot of the database with rsync to
store different versions to travel back in time if necessary.