From "Kevin R. Coombes" <kevin.r.coom...@gmail.com>
Subject problem with replication through proxy
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 20:42:03 GMT
Hi,

We have a setup with CouchDB running behind an Apache proxy, and are
having trouble replicating from the proxy to an outside server.
Basically, you can imagine the following setup:

Proxy Server:  http://public.proxy.wherever.com
     which forwards GET requests (but not PUT, POST, or DELETE) to
CouchDB server:  http://internal.couch.wherever.com:5984
     and we want to replicate this database to
New CouchDB Server: http://somewhere.else.com:5984

We started by creating a new empty database ('newdb') on the new server;
it contains absolutely no documents.  We then POST a replicaton request
to the new server in the form

curl -X POST http://somewhere.else.com:5984/_replicate -d
'{"source":"http://public.proxy.wherever.com/ourdb",
"target":"http://somewhere.else.com:5984/newdb"}'

The error message we get has the form
     The requested URL
         /ourdb/_local/8262b7d6670639f25400d5940bbe4094
     was not found on this server.

We cannot figure out what it is looking for (since it does not exist on
the server...)  And so we cannot tell if this is a problem with the
configuration of the proxy server or if it is something about our
particular database.  As far as we can tell, none of the documents in
the original couch database has an _id that looks anything like this.
(We assigned all of the _id's manually, since there is a good semantic
reason to assign meaningful unique _id's in our application.)

Can anyone point us in the right direction to resolve this problem?

Thanks,
     Kevin