From MK>
Subject Re: 256kB stack size ok?
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:05:52 GMT
On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:34:25 -0700
Randall Leeds <> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 05:50, MK <> wrote:
> > Does anyone have an idea of what a safe minimum stack size is for
> > couch?
> This is an excellent question and it'd be really cool to hear some
> good thoughts on this.
> In particular, I'm not sure what (from a libc perspective) is stack
> allocation and what is heap allocation in the Erlang runtime.
> Looking around quickly it's not easy to find documentation on BEAM
> itself (Bogdan/Björn's Erlang Abstract Machine).

I did not even know that's what it is, thanks ;)

> Perhaps there are some more basic questions that we could cross-post
> to erlang?

I don't think you could simplify it beyond "Do you know how big a stack
this application needs?"  256kB seems like a lot to me, I have no idea
why someone would need the linux default of 8MB.

You can limit thread stack size internally, at least with pthreads.  I
noticed when doing this on the server that nodejs (or the "libeio"
it includes/uses) does that -- it has a very small "allocated memory"
footprint by default.  Kind of a lesson there for developers perhaps.
That beam thing is just colossal, at least on linux.

"Enthusiasm is not the enemy of the intellect." (said of Irving Howe)
"The angel of history[...]is turned toward the past." (Walter Benjamin)

View raw message