From MK ...@cognitivedissonance.ca>
Subject Re: Updates
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 11:55:41 GMT
On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 13:16:06 -0700
Mark Hahn <mark@boutiquing.com> wrote:
> >  You will have far more flexibility this way (eg, in writing an
> > update
> handler
> > that gets the current revision and handles {"error":"conflict"}
> > intelligently) ...
>
> But if you use update handlers I see no reason not to call them from
> the client.  You are only sending over the changes.  Also you have the
> flexibility to make changes in the server, like you want, by changing
> the update handler.  I think you are hurting your own argument.

I'm just presenting an option, and it's the way I've found couch to be
most useful (in my vast few months of experience) -- as a backend
database, not as an all in one database/application server.    Just
because you can walk on your hands does not make it a preferred form of
locomotion for most people.

Developing a _design page of views/shows/etc in tandem with your server
code proper works really well.   With that in mind, I would need a
reason to expose the db to the outside -- not a reason not to -- and I
don't see one.

--
"Enthusiasm is not the enemy of the intellect." (said of Irving Howe)
"The angel of history[...]is turned toward the past." (Walter Benjamin)