From René Brüntrup <bruent...@imfl.de>
Subject Data loss in CouchDB 1.0.1
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 13:21:27 GMT
Dear CouchDB Community,

After restarting our productive Ubuntu 10.10 server running the official
Ubuntu CouchDB 1.0.1 package we observed a data loss in our database.

Before restarting the server the application using the database worked
without any problems. After restarting the server some recent
modifications were missing from the system and we started investigating
the problems:
The last change time of the CouchDB database file dated back about two
months. A hex dump of the CouchDB file showed no changes after this
point of time. Regular database backups that where created by
replicating into another database contained more recent data, just the
main database seemed to have stopped recording changes to disc after
2011-08-03. All database files are stored on the same encrypted LVM
volume.

The problem sounds a lot like writer process bug in 1.0.0: All data
seems to be kept in RAM, but never written to disc. However, we verified
that Ubuntu uses the patched code and the conditions that could cause
the problems in version 1.0.0 do not even occur in our system.

So far we were not able to reproduce the behavior.

Thank you for reading and we appreciate any help.

Kind Regards
René Brüntrup