From Robert Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: Data.js — A Graph Manipulation Framework on top of CouchDB
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 09:48:42 GMT
Michael,

  This is quite interesting, I'm going to dig a little deeper when I get a chance. Could you
say more  about how you are representing graphs in terms of couchdb documents? At a glance
it seems motivated by class/instance semantics of OOP. I'm curious as I've been prototyping
a mechanism for storing graphs as triples of docids, part of a terminology development environment[1].
I may be able to leverage what you've done for a better front end.

  Nice work.

Best,

Bob

[1] https://github.com/bdionne/bitstore

On May 16, 2011, at 4:46 PM, Michael Aufreiter wrote:

> Just wanted to let you know we're working on a data manipulation framework for Javascript
that exposes a simple API for graph persistence. It uses CouchDB in the backend, and thus
turns it into a Graph Database.

> With Data.js you can:
>
> - Query, manipulate and persist data on the client (browser) or on the server (Node.js)
using exactly the same API.

> - Make fast computations (like grouping and aggregating data, filtering)
>
> - Synchronize nodes with a data-store (CouchDB) and handle conflicts that may occur in
a multi user scenario

> - Subscribe for graph updates in realtime (using stateful Websockets for transport)
>

> Based on type information Data.js stores indices (CouchDB views) and allows you to query
them using a JSON based query syntax. Thus it provides a simple query interface without the
need of specifying CouchDB views manually.