From Paul Hirst <paul.hi...@sophos.com>
Subject Re: Does CouchDB support gzip encoding?
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 10:31:19 GMT
On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 09:53 +0100, Torstein Krause Johansen wrote:

> The GET still took ~5.5 seconds, though, even though the amount of
> data is 1.1M instead of 14M.

I query some pretty large views from our couch server, up to ~50M. These
queries are over the local network and they are quite slow. It's clearly
couch which is the bottleneck and not the network. I notice querying a
view twice in a row, the second time runs a lot faster, presumably
because the required data is in the disk cache.

So I'm not surprised by your result that gzipping doesn't seem to help.

Sophos Limited, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 991 2418 08.